CORN AND POBLANO PEPPER SOUP
I decided to create a new corn soup as summer is coming! I really love fresh corn but I will show you the conversion for frozen if you are in a hurry. This soup has just a few ingredients but be prepared for your taste buds to explode with flavor. Here we go:
3 scallions- finely chop
1 large white onion- quartered lengthwise
2 large fresh poblano peppers or your favorite chile pepper -medium heat
5 ears of corn or 3 1/2 cups frozen corn divided
1 tablespoon course salt
4 cups water or corn broth divided
2 tablespoons fine cornmeal
1. In hot skillet put scallions, onion and pepper. Cook 5 minutes per side undisturbed until charred on bottom (can be broiled on a baking sheet)
2. Put chiles in bowl and cover with plastic wrap for 15 minutes. peel and discard charred skin. Put chopped chile, onion and scallion in blender.
3. In soup pot place cobs of corn and cover with at least 5 cups of water.
boil for 5 minutes and remove corn but keep corn broth. Remove corn off the cob.
4. Add one half of corn to blender with 2 cups of corn broth and salt. Puree until smooth. Transfer puree to soup pot and add 2 more cups of corn broth along with the remaining whole pieces of corn.
5. Whisk together cornmeal and a 3 tablespoons of broth, stir mixture in to soup and simmer for about 2 minutes.
Serve, garnish with chopped scallions, cilantro, corn strips or avocado pieces.
To your good health