1 cup + 1 tbsp. sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 apples, cored and sliced thin
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 360 degrees F. Generously butter an 8-inch cake pan.
2. In a bowl, mix apples (approximately 20 slices) , 1 tbsp. sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder together.
4. Separate egg yolks from the whites. Place the yolks and sugar in a large mixing bowl and, with electrical mixer, beat for about 1 minute, until it gets fluffy. In a separate large mixing bowl beat the whites with electrical mixer for about 2 minutes, until fluffy. Gently mix in the whites and vanilla extract into the yolks until completely blended. Beat in the flour dropping, 1/3 cups at a time.
5. Place apples at the bottom of the cake pan and scrap the butter over the apples.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the top is golden, toothpick into the center comes out clean without dough stuck to it. Remove from the oven and let cake cool on a rack.